Thank you for supporting Arsenal! This guide will help you get up and running quickly. For more in-depth information, follow the links or browse our Support Center at http://support.witharsenal.com.
What You’ll Need
These instructions are for Canon, Nikon and Fuji camera users with an iPhone running iOS 9 or newer. For different camera brand or iOS instructions, see our other setup articles.
Your Arsenal order ships with:
- 1 Arsenal hardware device
- 1 USB cable for connecting your camera
- 1 USB cable for charging Arsenal
- 1 USB wall outlet adapter (U.S. and Canada orders only)
The camera cable you received matches the camera model you specified when confirming your order. Learn more about cable types and ordering additional cables.
How to charge your Arsenal
Arsenal has a built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery. To charge your Arsenal:
- Find the included USB charging cable
- Plug the cable into Arsenal’s charging port on the right side of the device, near the power button. Take care to orient the cable correctly with the two small "teeth" facing down.
- Plug the other end into a USB power source (or wall outlet, using a USB wall adapter)
A small orange light indicates Arsenal is charging. When charging is complete, the light will turn off.
IMPORTANT: Only Arsenal’s right USB port will charge the device. Be sure to connect the charging cable to Arsenal’s right side. (Using the wrong port won’t damage the device, but it also won’t charge!)
Be sure to fully charge Arsenal before using it in the field or storing it for a long period of time.
If you have trouble charging your Arsenal, see power and battery troubleshooting.
Before you start setup...
To help your first experience with Arsenal go smoothly, we strongly recommend the following:
- If possible, start with a blank memory card in your camera. This will improve the Arsenal app's initial performance.
- Wait till you have a good internet connection. This will help avoid a frustrating download process.
- Fully charge your camera's battery. (Many cameras disable USB devices when battery is low.)
- Turn off your camera's WiFi. This can confuse your phone when it switches between Arsenal's network and your home WiFi.
- Using your camera's menu, set your AF method to FlexiZoneAF□ (if setting is available on your camera)
How to set up your Arsenal with a Canon/Nikon/Fuji + iPhone
The first time you use Arsenal, you’ll need to set it up with your phone and camera. You’ll also need to download and install new firmware, which takes about 30 minutes.
1. Download the Arsenal Remote app
Arsenal uses a mobile app to control and update the Arsenal device from your phone. To download the app, open your phone’s app store search for "Arsenal Remote". US customers can also use this link: Arsenal Remote in the iTunes App Store (US)
2. Mount Arsenal to your Camera or Tripod
Attach your Arsenal device to your camera. The easiest way to do this is by using your camera’s hot shoe:
- Hold the device so that the Arsenal lettering is on top and facing you when you’re behind the camera.
- Line up Arsenal’s “foot” behind your camera’s hot shoe (the metal slot on top of the camera).
- Slide Arsenal into the hot shoe.
3. Connect Arsenal to your camera’s USB port
Use the included curly USB camera cable to connect Arsenal with your camera:
- Plug one end of the cable into the port on the left side of Arsenal.
- Plug the other end of the cable into the USB port on your camera.
IMPORTANT: Only Arsenal’s left USB port can talk to your camera. Be sure to connect your camera to Arsenal’s left side.
The USB cable you received matches the camera you selected when placing your order. If the curly USB cable doesn’t fit your camera, contact our support team.
If you have trouble with your camera cable, see camera cable troubleshooting.
4. Link Arsenal with your phone app
Next, you’ll link Arsenal with your phone app so it can control your camera and send updates to your device.
- Turn on your camera.
- Turn on your Arsenal device by briefly pressing and releasing the power button. You’ll see a small green light turn on.
- Open the Arsenal app on your phone.
- The app will ask to join a temporary “arsenal” WiFi network. When prompted, allow the connection.
If you have trouble linking your phone to Arsenal, see app and phone troubleshooting.
5. Download and install firmware update
If a firmware update is available, you’ll need to download and install it before using Arsenal. You won’t have to do this often, but it is important to check for new updates before you go out to shoot with Arsenal... especially if you won’t have internet access.
- When the app prompts you to update the firmware, click Download.
- Your phone will rejoin your normal WiFi network to download the update. If no WiFi found, it will ask if you want to download using cellular data. The file is approximately 500MB, so this will use a significant amount of data and carrier charges may apply.
- When the download is finished, the app will request to rejoin the Arsenal network. Select “Join” and your phone will begin transferring the file to your Arsenal.
- After the transfer is completed, the blue LED bar will turn on and Arsenal will begin installing the firmware updates. This takes approximately 15 minutes.
- When Arsenal has finished installing the firmware update, the blue LED bar will turn off. In the app, click Next.
- Arsenal will set up a new, private WiFi network for your device. Give permission to join the new network when prompted.
Congrats, you’re ready to start shooting with Arsenal!
The app is pretty intuitive so feel free to dive in. Or, check out our other Getting Started articles: