Thank you for supporting Arsenal! This guide will help you get up and running quickly. For more in-depth information, follow the links or browse our Support Center at http://support.witharsenal.com.
What You’ll Need
These instructions are for Canon, Nikon, and Fuji camera users with an Android phone running 4.4 (“KitKat”) or newer. For different camera brand or iOS instructions, see our other setup articles.
Your Arsenal order ships with:
- 1 Arsenal hardware device
- 1 USB cable for connecting your camera
- 1 USB cable for charging Arsenal
- 1 USB wall outlet adapter (U.S. and Canada orders only)
The camera cable you received matches the camera model you specified when confirming your order. Learn more about cable types and ordering additional cables.
How to charge your Arsenal
Arsenal has a built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery. To charge your Arsenal:
- Find the included USB charging cable
- Plug the cable into Arsenal’s charging port on the right side of the device, near the power button. Take care to orient the cable correctly with the two small "teeth" facing down.
- Plug the other end into a USB power source (or wall outlet, using a USB wall adapter)
A small orange light indicates Arsenal is charging. When charging is complete, the light will turn off.
IMPORTANT: Only Arsenal’s right USB port will charge the device. Using the wrong port won’t damage the device, but it also won’t charge!
Be sure to fully charge Arsenal before using it in the field or storing it for a long period of time.
If you have trouble charging your Arsenal, see power and battery troubleshooting.
Before you start setup...
To help your first experience with Arsenal go smoothly, we strongly recommend the following:
- If possible, start with a blank memory card in your camera. This will improve the Arsenal app's initial performance.
- Wait till you have a good internet connection. This will help avoid a frustrating download process.
- Fully charge your camera's battery. (Many cameras disable USB devices when battery is low.)
- Turn off your camera's WiFi. This can confuse your phone when it switches between Arsenal's network and your home WiFi.
- Using your camera's menu, set your AF method to FlexiZoneAF□ (if setting is available on your camera)
How to set up your Canon/Nikon/Fuji and Android phone with Arsenal
The first time you use Arsenal, you’ll need to set it up with your phone and camera.
1. Charge your Arsenal device
2. Download the Arsenal app
Arsenal uses a mobile app to control and update the Arsenal device from your phone. To download the app, open your phone’s app store search for "Arsenal Camera". US customers can also use this link for "Arsenal - the Intelligent Camera Assistant" in the Google Play Store (US).
3. Link Your Phone to Arsenal
The first time you use Arsenal, you'll need to link it to your phone. If your device isn't already powered on, briefly press the power button to turn it on. Arsenal's blue LED bar will illuminate during startup. A green indicator light indicates Arsenal is on.
Open the Arsenal mobile app and tap Get Started. The app will search for Arsenal's wifi network. When it finds your device, tap Connect.
When using the app for the first time, you'll need to give Arsenal permission to modify system settings. This allows the app to switch between Arsenal's WiFi network and your home WiFi. When prompted, tap Next and enable "Allow modifying system settings".
Next, return to your Arsenal app and tap Get Started again. Reconnect to your Arsenal device.
Troubleshooting tip: Some phones will require you to disable mobile data during the initial Arsenal setup. If you run into difficulty linking your phone to Arsenal, go to your phone's Settings app. Open the "Connections" screen, go to "Data", and make sure Mobile Data is disabled. Then repeat this entire step. You can enable mobile data when you're done.
4. Update Arsenal's firmware
If new firmware is available, you'll need to install it before using Arsenal. It's important to always check for new firmware before going out shooting with Arsenal, especially if you won't have internet access.
If needed, a Firmware Update Required screen will appear. Tap download to start the process. The app will reconnect to your home WiFi network for the download.
Note: Updating firmware from your phone can require up to 500MB of available storage space. If you don't have sufficient space, you can also update Arsenal's Firmware from a Computer.
After the file is downloaded, the app will reconnect to Arsenal and transfer the file to your device. Once the file is transferred, Arsenal will install the firmware update. The blue LED bar will stay illuminated during the update, which takes about 15-20 minutes. Do not turn off your device during the software update. You can use other apps on your phone during the installation.
When the update is complete, the blue LED bar will turn off. You can now reconnect to your device.
5. Attach Arsenal to your Camera
First, mount Arsenal to your camera's hot shoe:
- Hold the device so that the Arsenal lettering is on top and facing you when you’re behind the camera.
- Line up Arsenal’s “foot” behind your camera’s hot shoe (the metal slot on top of the camera).
- Slide Arsenal into the hot shoe.
Next, use the included curly USB camera cable to connect Arsenal with your camera:
- Plug one end of the cable into the port on the left side of Arsenal.
- Plug the other end of the cable into the USB port on your camera.
IMPORTANT: Only Arsenal’s left USB port can talk to your camera. Be sure to connect your camera to Arsenal’s left side.
The USB cable you received matches the camera you selected when placing your order. If the curly USB cable doesn’t fit your camera, contact our support team.
If you have trouble with your camera cable, see camera cable troubleshooting.
Congrats, you’re ready to start shooting with Arsenal!
The app is pretty intuitive, so feel free to dive in. Or, check out our other Getting Started articles: