*Note: The video above includes a USB Wall Adapter, which is not currently included with Arsenal purchases*
Thank you for supporting Arsenal! This guide will help you get up and running quickly. For more in-depth information, follow the links or browse our Support Center at http://support.witharsenal.com.
What You’ll Need
These instructions are for Sony camera users with an iPhone running iOS 10 or newer. For different camera brand or iOS instructions, see our other setup articles.
Your Arsenal order ships with:
- 1 Arsenal hardware device
- 1 USB cable for connecting your camera
- 1 USB cable for charging Arsenal
The camera cable you received matches the camera model you specified when confirming your order. Learn more about cable types and ordering additional cables.
How to charge your Arsenal
Arsenal has a built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery. To charge your Arsenal:
- Find the included USB charging cable
- Plug the cable into Arsenal’s charging port on the right side of the device, near the power button. Take care to orient the cable correctly with the two small "teeth" facing down.
- Plug the other end into a USB power source (or wall outlet, using a USB wall adapter)
A small orange light indicates Arsenal is charging. When charging is complete, the light will turn off.
IMPORTANT: Only Arsenal’s right USB port will charge the device. Be sure to connect the charging cable to Arsenal’s right side. (Using the wrong port won’t damage the device, but it also won’t charge!)
Be sure to fully charge Arsenal before using it in the field or storing it for a long period of time.
If you have trouble charging your Arsenal, see power and battery troubleshooting.
Before you start setup...
To help your first experience with Arsenal go smoothly, we strongly recommend the following:
- If possible, start with a blank memory card in your camera. This will improve the Arsenal app's initial performance.
- Wait till you have a good internet connection. This will help avoid a frustrating download process.
- Fully charge your camera's battery. (Many cameras disable USB devices when the battery is low.)
- Make sure your camera is set to Aperture Priority mode
How to set up your Sony and iPhone with Arsenal
The first time you use Arsenal, you’ll need to set it up with your phone and camera. You’ll also need to download and install new firmware, which takes about 30 minutes.
- Charge your Arsenal device
- Download the Arsenal Remote app
Arsenal uses a mobile app to control and update the Arsenal device from your phone. To download the app, open your phone’s app store search for "Arsenal Remote" or “Arsenal camera Assistant.” US customers can also use this link to the Arsenal Remote in the iTunes App Store (US).
3. Link Arsenal with your phone app
Next, you’ll link Arsenal with your phone app so it can control your camera and send updates to your device.
- Turn on your camera.
- Turn on your Arsenal device by briefly pressing and releasing the power button. You’ll see a small green light turn on.
- Open the Arsenal app on your phone.
- The app will ask to join a temporary “arsenal” WiFi network. When prompted, allow the connection.
If you have trouble linking your phone to Arsenal, see app and phone troubleshooting.
4. Download and install the firmware update
If a firmware update is available, you’ll need to download and install it before using Arsenal. You won’t have to do this often, but it is important to check for new updates before you go out to shoot with Arsenal...especially if you don't have internet access.
- When the app prompts you to update the firmware, click Download.
- Your phone will rejoin your normal WiFi network to download the update. If no WiFi is found, it will ask if you want to download using cellular data. The file is approximately 500MB, so this will use a significant amount of data and carrier charges may apply.
- When the download is finished, the app will request to rejoin the Arsenal network. Select “Join” and your phone will begin transferring the file to your Arsenal.
- After the transfer is completed, the blue LED bar will turn on and Arsenal will begin installing the firmware updates. This takes approximately 15 minutes.
- When Arsenal has finished installing the firmware update, the blue LED bar will turn off. In the app, click Next. Note: Do not click Next until the blue LEDs have turned off.
- Arsenal will set up a new, private WiFi network for your device (e.g. arsenal-adjective-noun-number). On an iPhone, give permission to join the new network when prompted.
5. Attach Arsenal to your camera
Mount Arsenal to your camera's hot shoe:
- Hold the device so that the Arsenal lettering is on top and facing you when you’re behind the camera.
- Line up Arsenal’s “foot” behind your camera’s hot shoe (the metal slot on top of the camera).
- Slide Arsenal into the hot shoe.
6. Connect Arsenal to your camera
For camera models A7iii and A7Riii: Use the included curly camera cable to connect Arsenal with your camera:
- Plug one end of the cable into the port on the left side of Arsenal.
- Plug the other end of the cable into the Multiport on your camera
For camera models A5000, A5100, A6000, A6300, A6500, A7, A7r, A7s, A7ii, A7Rii, A7Sii: No USB connection is needed. Arsenal controls these models using the Sony PlayMemories Smart Remote app over WiFi. See below for configuration.
If you have trouble with your camera cable, see camera cable troubleshooting.
7. Configure your Sony camera to work with Arsenal
Due to some unique aspects of Sony hardware and software, you'll need to configure some camera settings. It's a bit complicated, but you'll only need to do it once!
For instructions on this step, visit the Sony Camera Connection article. This process varies by camera model, so be sure to watch the right video for your camera.
- For newer Sony cameras, watch the video for your specific camera model
- For older Sony cameras, watch the Sony PlayMemories Smart Remote video
Once you've configured your Sony camera settings, you’re ready to start shooting with Arsenal!
Important reminder: If you have a Sony camera that connects using the Sony PlayMemories Smart Remote app, you'll need to open that app on your camera each time you want to connect to Arsenal.
The app is pretty intuitive, so feel free to dive in. Or, check out our other Getting Started articles: